Monday, January 9, 2012

Fun with Spell Check


I’ve noticed that the spell check in Microsoft can give you some strange suggestions when you misspell a word. For instance, if my last name, Hivner, is in my document it would like me to change it to “Hivers”. While this may be a way for me to avoid the IRS for a while I don’t think my Mom would approve. With this in mind I did an experiment, typing up some famous quotations along with the names of the person who said them. Then I took a few of the letters out to give spell check something to do.

Albert Einstein said “Imagination is more important than knowledge.” His lesser known cousin Ale Eaten said, “Iodination is more imp tat than college”, which I think is just as profound if you really think about it.

“Four score and seven years ago . . .” is of course the beginning of Abraham Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. Words you may not be as familiar with are “Four sod and Sven yaks ago . . .” which is of course the start to the Geyser Padres from unknown antebellum politician Bathe Lingo.

Poet Robert Frost wrote these immortal words, “Two roads diverged in a wood and I took the one less travelled”. Under the pen name Rover Fest he wrote these slightly less memorable words, “Two rams veered in a woody and I hook the one less railed”.

British leader Winston Churchill was once cheekily quoted as saying, “I am easily satisfied with the very best.” His alter ego Wisdom Circle had even more cheek when he said, “I am easily stiffed with the very bust”.

American Writer Mark Twain had this to say about the human psyche, “Everyone is a moon and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.” An unknown writer named Mask Taint who was trying to mimic his hero has this to stay, “Urine is a monk and has a dry side which he never sags to dayboy.”

As you can see you have to be careful with spell check or you can end up wiring a very sage bog pet.

Damn it!

No comments:

Post a Comment