Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Demise of Real News

The headline blared at me in shocking 60 point type. “Just undo that uh oh”. What could that mean? I settled into my chair almost afraid to continue. With everything going on in the world it’s becoming difficult to read the news anymore for fear of what’s coming next. Taking deep breaths to slow my heart rate and filled with trepidation, I read the article and found out this:

Google’s gmail has a new feature allowing you to call back an email within 10 seconds of sending it if you decided you made a mistake.

Wow! What a breakthrough. I can fully see why this was the LEAD story on the front page of my local paper. I mean, a marginal new function in one of a zillion email programs will have so much more global impact than the genocide in Darfur, the conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq, North Korea and Iran still fooling around with fissionable uranium, the collapse of our economy as well as others world wide, the debate on stem cell research, yadda yadda yadda.

I can’t wait until tomorrow’s expose “Why We Fart” and later in the week “Holy Cow! Where Milk Comes From”. I can only hope to be prepared for their tour de force op ed piece “It Isn’t Our Fault We Suck”. And I know someone somewhere is polishing an award for them in anticipation of their 12 part investigative series, “The Subway $5 Footlong: Its History and Effect on Society”.

No comments:

Post a Comment